Fenerbahce Walks Off in Super Cup Final Protest

Fenerbahce Walks Off in Super Cup Final Protest
Published 3 months ago on Apr 07, 2024

Fenerbahçe Walks Off in Protest, Forfeiting Turkish Super Cup Final to Galatasaray.

In a historic display of protest, Fenerbahçe S.K. fielded a youth team and walked off the pitch just two minutes into the Turkish Super Cup final against arch-rivals Galatasaray S.K., effectively handing their bitter rivals the trophy. This dramatic act marks the latest chapter in Fenerbahçe's ongoing feud with the Turkish Football Federation (TFF), fueled by accusations of unfair treatment and inadequate security measures.

The tension originated from chaotic scenes following Fenerbahçe's victory against Trabzonspor last month. A post-match altercation saw Fenerbahçe players clash with supporters who invaded the pitch. Footage captured former Chelsea striker Michy Batshuayi attempting a karate kick on an attacker, while Bright Osayi-Samuel landed a punch on another.

Fenerbahçe demanded significant changes from the TFF and threatened to withdraw from the Super Lig, Turkey's top football league. Their dissatisfaction appears rooted in several incidents.

A History of Frustration

  • Match-Fixing Scandal (2011): The club believes they are still unfairly tarnished by a 2011 match-fixing scandal that resulted in the imprisonment of their former president, Aziz Yildirim. Although later released and cleared of wrongdoing, Fenerbahçe feels the stigma lingers.
  • Bus Attack (2015): A terrifying incident in 2015 saw their team bus being fired upon while traveling to the airport. Fenerbahçe views this as a blatant security lapse.
  • Alleged Referees' Bias: The club contends with a constant sense of being disadvantaged by referees, further fueling their frustration.
  • Trabzonspor Brawl Protection: Fenerbahçe feels they were inadequately protected by authorities during the Trabzonspor brawl.

The Super Cup final witnessed the culmination of Fenerbahçe's discontent. Fielding their Under-19 team in protest, they relinquished the match before it even began. Following Galatasaray striker Mauro Icardi's goal in the first minute, Fenerbahçe players walked off the pitch, leaving a stunned crowd and a hollow victory for Galatasaray.

Adding to the surreal atmosphere, Galatasaray opted to play a friendly match against their own substitutes and reserves instead of celebrating their "win." This unprecedented display of protest highlights the deep dissatisfaction within Fenerbahçe.

International Fallout

The chaotic event has drawn international attention, with reports of broadcasters requesting refunds for the rights to televise the match. The incident further tarnishes the image of Turkish football, which has already seen incidents of violence involving club officials this season.

The outcome of this protest remains uncertain. Will Fenerbahçe's stance force the TFF to address their grievances? Will it lead to further escalation? One thing is clear: Turkish football finds itself at a crossroads, and the events surrounding the Super Cup final demand swift and decisive action to restore order and ensure the safety of players, officials, and fans.


  • Written news comments are in no way it does not reflect the opinions and thoughts of. Comments are binding on the person who wrote them.